Wooden Toys








Mad Momma writes a wonderful article about wooden toys from
India. I miss them. I go to Toys r us and come out with nothing,
because all of it looks so completely branded and unimaginative. I grew
up with hand made one of a kind toys, like a colorful ferris wheel, Katputlis made on hand painted wood and dressed up in beautiful bandini ghagris. Paper Mache animals and hand held drums that had a crackling sound.

We also used to find pleasure with cardboard, plastic,
tablecloths and anything that was used commonly in the house. I am
still trying to find Mira a doll that I like, but the last time I went
to American doll house, I felt so oppressed I came out and promised
that I would never go in their for a very long time. Here is more from Mad Momma.

A great source of well written bilingual books from India is Tullika Publishers and Katha books produces beautifully crafted books, incorporating elements of Gond Painting, Kalamkari and Worli figures.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love all these amazing style of wooden toys...

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last