Burma and China

Dhamma reflections so accurately represents my feelings on the devastation in Burma and China. I have not been able to look at the images of the suffering, starving, homeless, orphans and parents whose children have been killed due to the cyclones and earthquake.

The recent natural disaster in Burma has led to many reflections as well as opportunities to practice metta meditation. It's hard for me to even fathom the horrors the people in that region must be facing. The live in constant fear from their own inept government and now what little they had has literally been swept away by a natural disaster. We really do live in a very uncertain world in which nothing can be taken for granted. It's my sincere hope that in this time of severe suffering the people of Burma turn to the Dhamma for guidance. I don't just mean the poor citizens of the ravished villages, but the generals as well.

This is a prime opportunity for Than Shwe and his generals to redeem themselves in the eyes of the world and in the eyes of their own people. There isn't a lot we can do where we live other then donate money and practice Metta meditation, but as Ajahn Thanissaro has pointed out there is a lot of good in doing just that. Remember, misfortune can and does happen to everyone, and there is nothing that is certain in the world. It's times like these that highlight the whole "inconstancy" aspect of things from the three characteristics.

This whole event reminds me of the Four Dhamma Summaries chant that Ajahn Geoff's monastery chants.

Upanīyati loko,
The world is swept away.
Addhuvo.
It does not endure.
2. Atāṇo loko,
The world offers no shelter.
Anabhissaro.
There is no one in charge.
3. Assako loko,
The world has nothing of its own.
Sabbaṃ pahāya gamanīyaṃ.
One has to pass onleaving everything behind.
4. Ūno loko,
The world is insufficient,
Atitto,
insatiable,
Taṇhā dāso.
a slave to craving.


There really isn't any security in the world, and we are all brothers and sisters in aging, illness, separation and death as well as the owners of our actions. Let us all aspire to the good and do what we can as we are reminded of just how precarious our lives are. May you all be well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
I enjoyed your post and hung it on the Burma News Ladder where I am an editor:
http://burma.newsladder.net/

Please check out my own blogs:
Burgeois Nievete:
linked in my name
and New Orleans News Ladder (editilla:):
http://noladder.blogspot.com/

If you like me I'd be honored with a place on your list.
I put you on my second lines.

Thanks,
Bruce

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last

Tejeshwar Singh