The First Screen Versus a Quad Test Prenatal testing

I have heard of four women who this has happened to, and one woman who died while undergoing an amniocentesis as her doctor ruptured her intestine.

Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, deals with this issue when she describes the two different systems of care- the midwifery model and the techno-medical model. The midwifery model is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events. The techno medical model is a male derived framework of care. Pregnancy and labor are seen as illnesses, which in order not to be harmful to the mother and baby, must be treated with drugs and medical equipment.

Thanks for your concern now. But I feel that my case was not handled properly by your office. I was made to do tests that I should not have had to go through.

I had a first screen, which was clear. But I was told to go for a Quad, which was not necessary, I should have just been tested for Spina Bifida but I was again checked for down syndrome. The test did not have my correct week of pregnancy, and I was pressurized and made to feel that I had a serious problem with the 1:13 down syndrome risk. You were not interested in listening to what my concerns were but insisted I make the appointment right away for an amniocentesis.

I requested, that I be given other options before going for an amniocentesis. I asked if I could go for a detailed ultra sound and another blood test with Enzyme labs, so that my first and third results could be sequenced and analyzed.

I did not hear back, and instead got a response a week later, asking if I had made an appointment for an amniocentesis.

In the meantime, I did go to New Haven, and met a wonderful doctor who deals with very serious conditions in pregnancy who spent time with me explaining that the first screen was adequate and did a detailed ultra sound, which showed that the foetus was fine.

I then found a doctor who was willing to listen to me and my concerns and she did a blood test the result of which am happy to relate, have come out better than the first screen.

I did enjoy meeting with you and would have liked to have my delivery done by you.

But am afraid if my concerns for prenatal care and testing are not being heard or listened to, what will happen at the time of delivery.

As a consequence of the Quad test I was very worried and concerned, which as it happened was unnecessary. But I feel my doctor needs to respect me and my decisions, for me to move forward with them.

So thanks again for your phone call and concern, but I feel its too late for me to trust and be able to work through my delivery with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last