Salman Rushdie & Vikram Seth

This post is by my cousin Maya

To see and hear both of them speak in a space of two
weeks has been incredible.
Salman Rushdies's reading took place in a big auditorium with
a huge crowd. He read from a podium and was introduced
by a dishevelled Chrisopher Hitchens who immediately
evoked a sense of public school camaraderie. This
was to continue throughout the reading and afterwards at the question time which Hitchens moderated.
Salaman's book reading was long and wordy and clever and
beautiful. Words and more words being wound and
stretched in front of our eyes. I wanted to look
deeper into his mind and scoop up all those words
and sentences that can make the english language so rich
and juicy. I admired him, I was in awe, my head was
aching and I was thirsty.
Vikrams Seth's reading took place on a stormy NY
evening at the Asia society. As I walked in with
dripping umbrella and unruly hair (yes, the
straightness is coming undone), Vikram was milling
about quite at ease, waiting to go into the hall. We
entered the auditorium and he sat at a low table on
the stage with a teapot and cup of green tea. He
borrowed someone's book and off he went - bringing
an instant calm to the room. We forgot about the storm
outside and our damp clothing. He spoke effortlessly
for one and a half hours, dipping into his book at
times, regaling us with stories about his life, past
and present. It was a very polished and personal
testimony. His hand movements were those of a dancer
and his language one of a poet. It made me want to
read poetry again. I left feeling like I had made a
new friend. There was that warm glow of admiration
and excitement one feels at the beginning of a friendship.

I looked at the other faces leaving the hall - they
all had that same glow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last